libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libftdi only works if /dev/ttyUSBx is accessed by other method first

From: Pelle Windestam <pelle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jim Paris <jim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:49:37 +0200
Jim Paris wrote:
Pelle Windestam wrote:
I did some more testing and it appears that it doesn't work with the
unmodified FTDI eeprom either as I stated in my first e-mail. In
both cases I need to use /dev/ttyUSBx access first to get
libftdi-access working.

If you want to really dive in deep, you can modprobe the usbmon
module, use wireshark to get a full dump of the bus traffic, and
compare the two cases to see what might be missing in the libftdi-only
case.

-jim

I did some logging with usbmon yesterday, and I have tried to make some sense of it. I have never looked at usb bus traffic before, so it is slightly confusing. What I could make out of it however is that in the working scenario, I can see the frames I send out and the response from my external device.

In the non-working case I can see the data going out as a "URB_BULK out" package, and in most cases I receive a "URB_BULK in" packet with the same data as I sent out, usually split over several packages (I get this package in the working case as well), but never a response from the external device.

I have looked at the output signals from the FTDI chip with a scope, and on the TX-line I can only see a single blip in the non-working scenario. In the working scenario the traffic is there as expected.

//Pelle