libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: fdti_usb_find_all

From: Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 22:01:09 +0200

    Thomas> Is there a reason why fdti_usb_find_all() does not accept a
    Thomas> special combo of product/vendor, let's say -1/-1, to find all
    Thomas> connected devices?  Or is it too dangerous to send ftdi-specific
    Thomas> commands to arbitrary usb devices?
    >>  Do you talk about 0.2 or 0.99. 0.99 has something similar

    Thomas> 0.99 is the master branch?  It only looks for FTDI's vid and
    Thomas> FTDI's standard pids.  But I have devices that use vid=0x0403
    Thomas> but my own pids that I got from FTDI.

Blind probing on unknown devices is no good idea. However if you have
official VID/PID combinations, probing those devicesis fine. So add your
VID/PID combinations to the list of probed devices. And yes, perhaps all
those VID/PID comnination in
<linux-kernel/>drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio_ids.h should be probed too. But
then the list gets very long...
Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx