libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: ftdi-1.0: Regarding the next steps

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 17:42:52 +0200
On Tuesday, 6. September 2011 14:13:59 Uwe Bonnes wrote:
> when the baudrate issue has been settles, I want to check in a small
> patch that make the eeprom structure opaque to the user. In that
> context, I would like to move all EEPROM related code to a new file
> eeprom.c.
>
> Is that okay?

Sounds good to me.

> Should we also make the ftdi structure opaque before 1.0?

Hmm, this will cause breakage on the source code level
and make upgrading to 1.0 more painful. OTOH if we decide
to do this in 1.5 or 2.x, it will be painfull to the users, too.

Maybe we could define a macro like "FTDI_ALLOW_DEPRCATED_DIRECT_ACCESS"
which will be supported for a year or so?

The eeprom stuff is different, it's wasn't really working for the newer chip
types anyway and only used by a small bunch of programs.