libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Try to inihibit programming EEPROM with data for a different device

From: Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:17:55 +0200

    Thomas> Hi Uwe, On 07/11/2011 03:12 PM, Uwe Bonnes wrote: IMHO it still
    Thomas> breaks the ftdi_eeprom tool, doesn't it?
    >>  Argh,
    >>
    >> I didn't realize that ftdi_eeprom is now a part of libftdi-1.  Please
    >> test appended patch together with the one you find offending as
    >> above.
    >>
    >> When ftdi_open happened before we tamper with the eeprom values, we
    >> have a valid stub in the eeprom structure, no need set the chip type
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> Perhaps this fixes your case.

    Thomas> I've applied all your other patches. I'll apply the last one
    Thomas> once I have access to my FTDI hardware at work.

    >> B.T.w. ftdi_eeprom deosn't allow to reprogram VID/PID yet. The conf
    >> file must supply VID/PID of the device to open and VIP/PID that
    >> should get programmed into the device.

    Thomas> Hmm, strange. Can't remember how we did it back in the days.  We
    Thomas> currently switched to use MProg as ftdi_eeprom didn't support
    Thomas> the newer chip types back then.

    Thomas> What we really should think about is to merge your eeprom tool
    Thomas> and ftdi_eeprom. No need for two "official" tools :)

Well, examples/eeprom is only an example. For "production" I have a more
elaborate version. This tools knows what blank or programmed device to
search for/open and has an entry for strings and other non-standard value
for every flavour of FTDI chip usage here in our laboratory.

--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx