libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Location of libftdi-1.0 header ftdi.h different from libftdi-0.19

From: Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 14:46:24 +0200

    Xiaofan> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Uwe Bonnes
    Xiaofan> <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> I see a lot of constructs like

    Xiaofan> Even then, the question may come back to what is the intention
    Xiaofan> of libftdi-1.0?

    Xiaofan> Is the intention to replace libftdi-0.1x, then it is probably a
    Xiaofan> better idea to put it in the same location. Right now only one
    Xiaofan> can exist in the same place (/usr or /usr/local) anyway -- they
    Xiaofan> can not coexist under /usr. I suspect this is the original
    Xiaofan> intention and then it is better to be compatible with
    Xiaofan> libftdi-0.1x and put the header in the same place.

    Xiaofan> Is the intention not to replace libftdi-0.1x but create a new
    Xiaofan> library, in that case, it is better to rename the header file
    Xiaofan> so that it can easily coexist with the old library.

The intention is to have
/usr/(local/)/include/ftdi.h for 0.1
/usr/(local/)/include/libftdi-1.0/ftdi.h for 1.0
/usr/(local/)/include/libftdi-x.x/ftdi.h for x.x for later versions

and have
#include <ftdi.h>
#include<libftdi-1.0/ftdi.h>
#include<libftdi-x.x/ftdi.h>

For the two latter cases,
#include<libftdi-1.0/libftdi.h>
#include<libftdi-x.x/libftdi.h>

would also be fine, but i.m.h.o. bring no advantage.

Bye
--
Uwe Bonnes                bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx