libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: FT2232H asynchronous maximum data rates?

From: Caleb Kemere <ckemere@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 13:23:58 -0700
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Uwe Bonnes
<bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    Caleb> I've noticed previous threads where folks have used the
>    Caleb> synchronous FIFO mode of the FT2232H and gotten quite reasonable
>    Caleb> sustained transfer rates (15 MB/s). I'm struggling to get 6.5
>    Caleb> MB/s (without the buffer on the chip filling up). Is this an
>    Caleb> issue of the asynchronous FIFO mode, or am I somehow not pulling
>    Caleb> data off on the PC fast enough?
>
> What direction is the transfer? Device to PC or PC to device?

Device to PC. (The device is a Spartan, I forget what kind.)

> I only have experience with synchronous read at high rate.  Is your hardware
> fast
> enough? Lookin at the datasheet, I see 80 Nanoseconds needed for each vyte by
> the FT232 in FT245 Style Asynchronous FIFO Interface Mode. So if your
> hardware adds another 80 ns, you will loose.

We've set up the FPGA to stop sending if the FT2232H ever signals that
its buffer is full. So that's what's happening.

> Otherwise, how do you read on the PC side? Do yo do asynchronous reads like
> in libftdi-1.0/src/ftdi_stream.c?

I have been doing a loop of ftdi_read_data(). I'm just starting to
play around with libftdi-1.0.

thanks!
– caleb