libftdi Archives

Subject: Disconnect by usbfs, /dev/ttyUSB0 disappears when using libftdi

From: "Michael Soire" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 18:08:34 +1000

Hello,

I am using a 4 port ftdi chip TYPE_4232H. When I plug in my ftdi4232H hardware I see 4 new devices, /dev/ttyUSB0, /dev/ttyUSB1, /dev/ttyUSB2 and /dev/ttyUSB3.

After I run an application using libftdi such as the example “simple.c” I find /dev/ttyUSB0 has disappear. If I unplug, then plugin the ftdi4232H hardware all four /dev/ttyUSBn device come back.

Dmesg shows:

ftdi_sio 2-2.2:1.0: disconnect by usbfs

ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0

ftdi_sio 2-2.2:1.0: device disconnected

How do I use libftdi without disconnecting the serial device convertor from ttyUSB0?

Regards

Michael