libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: How to get receive or fetch data from external USB device (FDTI FT232BM chip) to android tab device ?

From: Tim Schneider <schneid5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 06:42:45 +0200
Hey,

I have libftdi running on HTC Desires with Andoid which have an altered Kernel
that supports USB Host mode. You will first have to make sure that your device
supports Host mode. Most likely you will have to install a special Kernel for
that.
Compiling libftdi for Android is not much of a problem. I can help you with
that if you need.
Aftwerards you will have to write a special application that does the
communicating for you, since normal Android Java Apps don't have sudo
permissions and hence cannot connect to the USB devices.

Tim