libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Building the git repository sources to a different prefix directory

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Drasko DRASKOVIC <drasko.draskovic@xxxxxxxxx>, Uwe Bonnes <bon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 09:18:50 +0800
On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Drasko DRASKOVIC
<drasko.draskovic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Uwe,
> I found nice tutorial from Milkymist guys :
> http://www.milkymist.org/wiki/index.php?title=Build_the_libftdi-1.0_and_new_ftdi_eeprom
>
> I just changed libtool softlinks and autotools stuff to be done by
> autogen.sh identical to the one in libusb-1.0. After that I had my
> ./configure and I could pass it --prefix=<install_dir>.
>
> I find this method to be much simpler and less obscure with unusual
> CMake that does not work and is not so known in general.

You need to remember that libftdi-1.0 will use CMake and the
auto-tools script may be removed in the future. So you
may have to deal with CMake anyway.

I agree that it is not that easy to use Cmake. However I do not like
auto-tools either. These build systems all suck in one way or another.

We tried a lot to get libftdi-1.0 to be built with MinGW-w64
with libusb-1.0 Windows backend last time. Take note this is
a long thread.
http://libusb.6.n5.nabble.com/Win-libusb-1-0-snapshots-no-longer-work-with-cross-compiling-of-libftdi-1-0-tp2262878p2473199.html

But in general, you can try "cmake -i" to make customization.
Then you can also manually edit the CMakefileCache.txt.

--
Xiaofan