libftdi Archives

Subject: RE: ftdi_read_data return 0xff

From: "Michael Plante" <michael.plante@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:15:07 -0500
Rodrigo Rosa wrote:
>>     //Set the lacentcy time to a low value
>>     if((ret = ftdi_set_latency_timer(&ftdic, 3)) <0)

You're correct to want to do this eventually.  But when you're first
starting out, it only complicates things.  Until you get things working, you
might want to consider something higher.  But there's nothing wrong with
leaving it as you have it, just that it might make things more challenging.

>> numBytesToRead = 20;//ftdic.readbuffer_remaining;

Yea, ftdic.readbuffer_remaining is not going to help you here.  That
indicates how much extra libftdi read from libusb but didn't return to you.
That will sometimes be zero, which, in this case, would cause you to never
get new data from the usb bus into libftdi.

(I'm going to ignore the very large block of commented-out code.)

I don't see anything particularly wrong with the setup.  I would usually
check the return value to see if it equals how much I sent, but perhaps
that's overkill.  You're probably ok.

Regards,
Michael