libftdi Archives

Subject: Bug in libftdipp Context::open()

From: pitpompej@xxxxxxxx
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:27:06 +0100 (CET)
Hello,

I found a bug in the cpp-wrapper for the ftdi-lib that concerns nearly all
open() functions of the Context-Class. All open-functions except the one with
the usb_device parameter return with -1 (and error string "all fine") even if
opening the device should be posssible (the ftdi-c version can open the same
device). The reason for that behavior is, that they all use for the first
connect to the device the correct ftdi-c-function concerning to the given
parameters (open(vendor,pid) uses ftdi_usb_open(ftdi, vendor, product),
open(description) uses ftdi_usb_open_string(ftdi, description.c_str()) and so
on) but after the first connect they all use the ftdi_usb_get_strings function
that needs as one parameter the usb_device. this has not been set before when
using these special open-functions so it returns with an error and the
open-function failes.
I have already implemented a fix in my sources by adding to further functions
in the ftdi-c-lib that returns by reference the usb_device ande changed the
concerning calls in the cpp-wrapper. That all works fine for me now.
But is a problem in the ftdi-cpp-wrapper worth a change in the ftdi-c-lib?
I will try to commit it if possible today, otherwise next week.

pit