libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Hi-speed UARTs (3Mbps to 12Mbps) on FT2232H/FT4232H

From: Emmanuel Blot <eblot.ml@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 00:08:32 +0200
> Thanks for your patch! Some small questions:

> - FTDI_BAUDRATE_TOLERANCE doesn't seem to get used?

Yeah, sorry, I failed to copy the whole patch.
I'll submit a new version.

> - Could you check if this piece of code doesn't break
>  the bitbang mode as it multiplies the baud rate by four:
>
> +        if ( baudrate > (FTDI_BAUDRATE_REF_CLOCK>>1) )
> +        {
> +            ref_clock *= 4; // 12 MHz
> +            hispeed = 1;
> +        }

Would you have a sample test file to exercise this mode, so I could
check with an oscilloscope?
I don't know how to test the bitbang mode otherwise (I'm using FTDI
2232H/4232H with UART, SPI and JTAG, but I do not use the bitbang
mode)

> - Where does this "magic" come from: "*index |= 1<<9; // use hispeed mode"?

Reverse-engineering of the official Windows driver.
I have no idea about the official name for this bit ;-)

>  Maybe a #define would be nice to give it a concrete name.

I do agree, but I'm not sure how to name it.

BTW, I've noticed that a couple of comments would need some clean up,
as the code has evolved since the first versions of libftdi but the
comments often refer to the oldest FTDI chips only.

Cheers,
Manu