libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: Please review: Streaming read for libftdi-1

From: Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc@xxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:54:13 +0800
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Thomas Jarosch
<thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday, 29. April 2010 03:18:44 Jie Zhang wrote:
>> As I understanding of the "GPL compatible", it should be OK to have
>> some files licensed under X11 license in a GPL software. But I don't
>> know if it's OK to put some portion of X11 license code in a GPL
>> licensed source file. Since if you do that, you have to put X11
>> license in that source file as my understanding of the clauses of the
>> X11 license.
>
> Also libftdi is licensed under the LGPL ;)
>
> Easiest thing would be to ask the original author if it's ok
> to relicense the code under the LGPL, this should be safe.

I think the author may be a bit reluctant to do that.
I think his license is more permissive than LGPL actually.
http://svn.navi.cx/misc/trunk/nds/dsi/ram-tracer/host/fastftdi.c

But his code actually uses libusb-1.0, which is again LGPL.

Maybe asking him to use dual-license is possible.

--
Xiaofan http://mcuee.blogspot.com