libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: libftdi 0.17 broken on cygwin

From: "Gerd v. Egidy" <gerd.von.egidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Thomas Kindler <mail+ocd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:40:26 +0100
Hi Thomas,

> According to some mailing list posting:
>
>    http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2008-September/023876.html
>
> I single-handedly fixed this by adding
>
>    ARCHIVE DESTINATION lib${LIB_SUFFIX}
>
> to  src/CMakeLists.txt     (for the ftdi target)
> and ftdipp/CMakeLists.txt  (for the ftdipp target)

Thanks for the hint. When reading up on this (e.g. this thread
http://www.mail-archive.com/cmake@xxxxxxxxx/msg25266.html )
we maybe have to add
RUNTIME DESTINATION bin
too to also get dlls installed. We'll have to look into this.

> (Much later, I discovered, that the libftdi-tarball still contains the
> good, old autoconf-scripts which I could have used instead.. grr!)

Yes, there are autoconf-scripts available. But the plan is to retire them
sometime in the future, so your find with the ARCHIVE DESTINATION is good.

> In file included from /home/tkindler/libftdi/ftdipp/ftdi.cpp:29:
> /home/tkindler/libftdi/ftdipp/ftdi.hpp:34:32: error:
> boost/shared_ptr.hpp: No such file or directory

do you have the correct boost libs installed? Seems like cmake is finding
boost libs but they don't work with the build environment you are using.

> Is there a better way?! The old ./configure had a --disable-ftdipp
> option or similar.

That is a good point. The released version does indeed not allow to switch
parts of libftdi off.

I just commited a patch which allows exactly that. You can find it at
http://developer.intra2net.com/git/?p=libftdi;a=commitdiff;h=a03fea794af90cd97514f35f212691f8b5b3700d;hp=7af868049039b92400d0e3819179bc636c5aa715

After installing it you can switch e.g. building the python bindings off with

cmake -DPYTHON_BINDING=OFF

> Linking C shared module _ftdi.dll
> CMakeFiles/_ftdi.dir/ftdiPYTHON_wrap.c.o: In function `_wrap_ftdi_init':
> /home/tkindler/libftdi/bindings/ftdiPYTHON_wrap.c:5258: undefined
> reference to `
> _ftdi_init'

hmm. Seems like linking the ftdi.dll does not work. Maybe this has to do with
the xxx DESTINATION stuff you found out earlier.

> There are no binaries for windows,

IIRC, we would have to provide several binaries for windows: for cygwin, for
Visual Studio and so on.

> and the build process is not
> documented anywhere.

Maybe you can help us with that? Write down the steps you took and the
experiences you made. When you post it on this mailinglist we'll put it up on
the documentation page.

Kind regards,

Gerd