libftdi Archives

Subject: FT245RL programming

From: Karl Cunningham <karlc@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 15:56:50 -0700
We're setting up a programming station for FT245RL chips using libftdi 0.15 in Ubuntu. When we program chips using libftdi the first two bytes of the eeprom are being programmed with 0's. The problem is that chips programmed this way aren't recognized by Mprog or the Windows driver.

When a fresh chip is read using libftdi, the first two bytes appear to be set to 0x01 and 0x40, respectively. After programming with Mprog, they are 0x09 and 0x40.

I changed and recompiled libftdi to set these bytes to 0x09 and 0x40 (as Mprog does), and now chips programed with it work fine with the Windows driver, with Mprog, and with Labview.

I'm not suggesting that the eeproms of all chips should be programed this way, but perhaps the values set for these bytes by libftdi should be dependent on what part is being flashed.

I'm interested in comments anyone might have.

Thanks.

Karl Cunningham