libftdi Archives

Subject: Re: opening device given its serial and hardware flow control

From: Thomas Jarosch <thomas.jarosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: libftdi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:45:19 +0100
Hi Luca,

On Wednesday, 11. February 2009 09:36:27 Thomas Jarosch wrote:
>    1. Cant open specific FTDI device with serial D44F6D5
>       tried with        ftdi_usb_open_desc(&ctx, vendor, device, NULL,
> "D44F6D5");
>       and also with     ftdi_usb_open_desc(&ctx, vendor, device,
> "TTL232R-3V3", "D44F6D5");
>
>      If I am logged in as root
>       init: OK
>       open: rv=-3, error=device not found, errno=Inappropriate ioctl for
> device (25)
>
>      If I am logged in as a user
>       init: OK
>      open: rv=-3, error=device not found, errno=Operation not permitted (1)

I took a quick look at ftdi_usb_open_desc() and to me the code seems fine.
You might want to add debug output in there to see
if it walks the USB device list correctly.

>    2. Can't get to use handshaking signals RTS and CTS (hardware flow)
>        Either I connect RTS and CTS together or leave them floating, it
> reads 0 for about 5 seconds
>        then I get following error: (basically it times out after so many
> write attempts)
>
>       write: rv=-110, error=usb bulk write failed, errno=Resource
> temporarily unavailable (11)
>       close: rv=0, error=usb bulk write failed, errno=Resource
> temporarily unavailable (11)
>
>       If I manually connect CTS to GND then everything works and I
> receive the random numbers. Sounds like FTDI device never
>      sets RTS(ready to send) to GND. I don't understand this because,
> from what I have gathered
>      googling hardware flow control, CTS line should be high (+3.3V) for
> source device to begin transmission
>
>      The same happens regardless I set bitbang ON or OFF

As I'm not really into the details of RS232, I guess this is best left to
somebody else to answer. We use the FTDI chips for bitbanging only.